So I've been on this hunting lease for about 12-years. Each year I get an envelope from the agent with the new lease agreement and a return envelope to sign and return with the check. He sends the check and (presumably) the lease agreement to the owner. But only the first year have I ever gotten a signed, fully executed copy of the lease paperwork back. Of course they always cash the check. Except last year, the check had not cleared after 9 months and I had to call and ask them to deposit it.

The land owner is 85 year old lady fighting cancer. Tough situation and she tries to manage everything herself. Which explains not depositing checks.

Well tonight the land owners whack job daughter calls and starts in about how I don't have a lease becuase they have not signed it (which they never do), said I never signed it (which I always do), and that the old lady owner mistook my check for something else and not the lease fee, even though in the note line I wrote "Deer Lease Fee 2020". All this just 2 weeks before bow seaon opens and while I have already cleared brush, mowed roads, been feeding corn, put out my ground blind, etc.

They are all kinds of screwed up.

I guess I chalk it up to not "forcing" the old lady to send me a signed copy. But how do you that with a 85-year cancer patient that lives 400 miles from here who I've never even met in person?

Last edited by Gun_Geezer; 09/19/20.