Originally Posted by 4th_point
Originally Posted by CashisKing
So far this summer it has been Spanish mackerel, small Tanner Bluefish, speckled trout/weakfish and mullet. The mullet is one of my favorites.

Very interesting on the mullet. I've never tried it, but my dad catches the hell out of those bastards in Florida. Not sure if it's the same type of mullet, though. He uses them for bait, while surf fishing. I know he tried cooking them when they first moved there, but pompano seems like the prized fish in the surf.

I actually like bluefish, and tried sailcat for the first time. Both are trash fish to some, but I don't mind the flavor or texture.

We fish the Pacific side of Panama. The jack crevalle fish on the Pacific side is called a Jurel.

Local fisherman told me it's really good for your heart, but the guys I fish with say you cannot eat it.

I spiced up some fillets and cooked it in a frying pan. It was okay. Then I broke up the fillets and mix them with potato chip crumbles, mayonnaise and hot sauce and made fish cakes. It was quite tasty that way.

With all that extra crap in it probably no longer good for the heart. But was able to figure out how to take a less-than-desirable fish and make it delicious.

Made a veal parmesan out of bullnose Ray two summers ago. Really surprisingly good. Tasted absolutely nothing like fish, and very much like veal.

Anybody can bake or fry a rockfish, drum, salmon or steak a tuna, shark, wahoo or halibut. I like to fiddle fart around with other fish that don't bake so well.

I hate croaker and consider sea trout to be only slightly better.

YMMV

Last edited by CashisKing; 09/20/20. Reason: Southern accent voice to text typos

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.