Originally Posted by OldHat
To be honest I don't care what people believe about the bison. It matters not. I want to believe truth and the best evidence supports human rifles as the ultimate demise of the herds. Human rifles slaughtered all the cervid herds out west
I'll will agree that human's rifles finished off what was left. But just like the European introduced human diseases raced ahead of the white people and killed Indians in huge numbers the cattle diseases got out there and worked over the bison. There is no other rational explanation. Texas tick fever just like anaplasmosis can take down a fat healthy bovine in short order. No way would taking even 3 million a year out of a healthy herd have exterminated the plains bison. You are an intelligent man. All it takes is a little arithmetic. So I am going to agree with you that yes hunters did finish off the bison herds. That would be the bison that had survived through some sort of natural immunity. African herds had some remnant that survived the great rinderpest plague and some humans had immunity to Black Death. So I would say had the surviving bison been left on the plains without being hunted they would have restored they would have restored their former numbers with naturally immune individuals.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."