I finally got my 35 Whelen the day after Labor Day. I ended using a load suggested and used by several other acquaintances. I’m running 59.5 grains of RL15, WLR primers behind a Speer 250 grain Hot Cor. I worked up to this carefully by .1 grain increments with zero signs of excessive pressure. And, yes I know what to look for after doing lots of screwing around with a 280AI. I’ve seen a few squashed primers, extractor marks, blown primers and separated case heads and felt a sticky/heavy bolt lift. None of which was observed with the Whelen. My particular rifle is a SS, Ruger M77 Hawkeye with a Shilen SS 1:14” twist super premium match grade barrel and chamber with a finished length just over 23”. I dialed it in for 100 yards as I was “breaking in” the barrel. I got shots #10, #11 and #12 into a sub MOA group. I said good enough and finished off the box of twenty by ringing the 8” gong at 250 yards eight for eight. I’m suspecting things will only get better but my time is limited for now until my October pilgrimage to bear camp. I hope I can get some blood on it then.

So, for all of you Whelen fans or 35 cal fans: 225’s or 250’s. Is there any appreciable difference in a Whelen? I’m thinking I’m set with my load and I have heard that the 250 Partition shoots and has a similar profile/shape as the Hot Cor. Not sure how true that is because I KNOW that the partitions have a tendency to reach pressure quicker than other designs.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.