Originally Posted by roundoak
I have experienced similar results as you, Scott, when the wind is rattling the corn or it is very wet. I walk perpendicular to the rows looking left and right. With maybe just a couple exceptions the encounters have been near the end of the corn rows and the deer facing towards the end of the row. This may speak to the theory that Whitetails like "edge" habitat.

Yes sir - in nearly every case.

Originally Posted by roundoak

What is really exciting is being part of an army driving a corn field. If you are a stander you can hear the deer coming way before you see them.

That's for sure. laugh

Back in the day, my father had seen a decent buck cross the road and into an 80 acre cornfield. There was a pretty good slope to the field so I went around to the back side and shimmied up one of the big maples that lined the fence row and could see down into darn near the whole field. Dad got a couple of his friends around the field and then a few folks went into the corn.

From my vantage point, I could see bits and pieces of deer running all over - it was actually pretty entertaining. laugh Some of the guys pushing were getting about 10 yards from the deer before they'd move. As they worked the field down the hill and toward me, I could see 4 different bucks in the field - darting, dodging, stopping, listening. Soon three of the bucks decided to get out of dodge with the nicer of the four headed directly my way and I ended up shooting him right beneath the tree (though I'll admit to my gun being out of slugs when he was finally down LOL). Two of the other bucks busted out of the corn and after WWIII, those two were on the ground. The other buck was patient enough to figure things out and I watched him sneak back between two of the guys pushing and he headed the way they'd entered the field (we didn't have enough guys to put a few guys at the back door).

As we'd all rendezvoused in the field, talking, laughing, gutting, an even bigger buck came out of the corn, trotting right past the 8 of us – all with unloaded guns and he headed for parts unknown. crazy

I used to love doing that sort of thing but damn, you had better know your hunting companions and trust the heck out of them.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D