Jag- in this case, my wife heard at her dance club (a reliable source of information for wilderness living) that an open Clorox bottle will keep squirrels and voles out of the cabin. I told her not to believe everything she hears at dance..... she has also heard there that road flares are THE bear deterrent..... smile

We spent a day cleaning up (somewhat) the neighbor's cabin- they haven't been there in over 10 years. Gaylen died nearly a year ago, and his widow is thinking of selling it, so we got some pics for her after cleanup. The next day, after wiping things down with Clorox and leaving a bottle open in the cabin, the bed was covered with squirrel chewins again.

I trust my wife isn't going to try the bear thing....

Mainly, tho, besides disinfecting surfaces, a few drops in river water helps to keep from getting beaver fever. This trip we had timely rain for most of our drinking water caught off the roof, but we still used river water for washing dishes and bodies. If we use river water for drinking, we "boil the chit out of it". For washing, maybe not, but we do keep a big pan of Cloroxed water going on the back of the wood stove. If that boils, so much the better.

Couple more pics to follow, but I need to load them up first...

Love this stove. Weighs maybe 600 lbs, and is a bitch to get started without smoking everyone out of the cabin, literally.

The solution was a propane torch with quick-fire attachment. There are clean-out ports along the draft-route. Start the kindling, when the smoke starts coming out the top, stick the torch into the port more or less under the stack and fire it up.

Keep it going until the draft is established... Oven is great for baking, once the stove is up to heat- which takes an hour or more.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Underneath is a favorite place for the low-mass, hairless one. I think he is part cat.

I finished my roof this trip! I bought the place in '74....... smile. The bear didn't like the blow-in rain anyway.

Money, time, life..... When I bought it, the cabin was 4 short-walls, no floor, pole and sod roof on one side, pole and Visqueen on the other. After installing the floor, I had to add 2 rounds of logs to get head clearance inside.

IIf you are wondering about the short overlapping roofing sections, it is salvage from our rentor's house fire last fall - 2 days before we were due to go to the cabin (cancelled)...and those 6 foot and 8 1/2 foot sections fit nicely in the boat, way better tthan the 16s on the rest of the roof, especially since I now have a console midship. smile. The boat is 18'....

Last edited by las; 09/24/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.