and if so, what did you buy?

We all have different tastes, shooting requirements and body sizes, so it is impossible to say, "Buy from SUCHANDSUCH Stocks!"

The last few years, despite the shipping charges and a so-so dollar exchange, I have been very pleased with Boyds Stocks in S.D.. I have three AT-ONE adjustable stocks, and recently bought a nice Boyds stock for my Encore. Two required fitting, but it was minor and easily done.

These are laminated. I have shimmed one AT-ONE stock using aluminum from Coke cans. Borrowing from old world gunsmiths, I shimmed a Savage action, and it shoots quite well. The trick with shims is to maintain parallelism with action, so that things like the recoil lug are not angled or canted. Years ago, when I was stationed in Germany, I chatted with a German gunsmith who told me about proper shimming. Apparently, the Swedes were very good at it, having received a lot of practice from reworking Russian made Mosin Nagants.

In fact, I have one rifle, a M91/24 Finnish Civil Guard capture rifle (Mosin Nagant) that has brass shims in a few places where the stock/action touch.

So, this long winded intro over, do you have a stock company that you prefer? I think we get most of our aftermarket stuff from the US. What do you have?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada