Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Here's a laminate, a Boyd's Jon Sundra Sporter. Gun is a Pre-64 with 26" Krieger in 6.5-284 with Swaro Z5 and Jewell trigger.

Laminates tend to be heavier, but are good, solid stocks.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That's a good looking rifle too!

If wood is the material, I prefer laminates. What I don't get is people saying that they want a super light rifle. Remember that ultralight phase we went through a number of years ago? Every magazine had pictures of companies drilling out holes in mag boxes, reducing the amount of metal and stock material, etc. Huh?!?

I absolutely know there are times when light is right, but like the magnum craze, camo underwear and a few other things, they went overboard with lightening up rifles. Who enjoys shooting a 6.5 lb 300 WM? smile Your average male hunter, of average fitness and average body size, cannot tell the difference between 8 lb and 7 lb, and wouldn't sweat carrying an extra pound or two. I'm in my mid 60s, and have no problem carrying 9 lb Lee Enfield rifle around.

With the Boyds laminates, I know they add weight because they are replacing a plastic stock. I don't think it's an inordinate amount though, or they wouldn't be selling.

Of course, that's just me. Everyone is different.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]