Saddlesore is entirely correct. Most of the western half of the state is over the counter unlimited. The reason I feel the state does this is greed. They would sell unicorn permits if they thought they could find gullible people to buy them. They have little fear of reducing the elk population on the western slope because so few hunters ever see an elk in season. Most successful elk hunters I know take elk on private ranches. Those early pre season "scouting trips" people take drive elk in droves to private property so by season opening their are vastly diminished numbers on public land. Area's that used to be decent public hunting areas have been trampled by hikers, mountain bikers and joggers, yes joggers at 14,000'. The mountain trails that lead up the 14eeners used to see 4 to 5 people a day in the 90's now have overflow parking lots for their overflow parking lots. That is no exaduration . Just try to find a parking place if you want frustration. Several areas limit the number of hunters on public ground. I have hunted elk since 1969 and have a tally almost as high as saddlesore but I had no horses to help everything was done by shanks mare. I guided on a private ranch in the 1990's and we would observe a great increase in elk numbers on the ranch starting around a week before season upon the arrival of the "scouters". Elk would tear the ranch fences down getting onto safer grounds. So if elk is your goal, Colorado does offer hunting opportunities but very limited success on public land.