You picked a tough time to buy a boat - prices are sky high as demand has outstripped supply. Used boats are going for crazy high prices. I bought a Robalo 206 in June, came with a Yamaha 150 from the factory.- there was no choice in the motor, factory package deal even if you ordered the boat (with a four - five month wait time). I was lucky, found one in dealer stock close by before they were all gone. Some manufacturers will give you a choice in motor brands but others don't. As to Mercury being Chinese now, I didn't know that until I read your post. I have only owned two boats and motors; a Suzuki 90 on my first boat and the Yamaha on my current boat. The Suzuki was 7 years old when I traded the boat/motor on my new boat - it never gave me a moments trouble. I've seen another brand of smaller size motors at some of the dealers showrooms, TOHATSU - but I have no idea who builds it.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge