Originally Posted by Bristoe
,..do you usually keep close by around the house?

I've got a variety of handguns that I've accumulated over the years. Actually, I don't feel very threatened out here in the sticks. But old habits die hard and I've long kept a handgun close by when I'm kicking around the house.

Recently I purchased yet another S&W model 10,..4" standard barrel square butt. I've got a few Model 10s that are in very nice condition that I'm loathe to put wear on. The one that I just bought is very tight but the finish is worn just enough that I don't feel the need to be overly protective of it. It came with a pair of garden variety Pachmayr grips that look ugly but fit my hand well enough. Its action is very slick and it has a .005" cylinder gap.

I bought a box of swaged 158 grain semi wadcutter hollow points and loaded them up to about 950 fps to put in it. They're basically a home brewed version of the old .38 spl. FBI load. I think the old FBI load went about 100 fps faster but these are close enough. I'd twist them up another 100 fps but these leave a slight bit of lead in the barrel at 950 so I'll leave them there.

It's not an exotic set-up,... very old school,.. but I've put thousands of rounds through Model 10s over the years and they just feel right to me. So that's what it is for me.

What do you guys like?
Wife's Colt Magnum Carry .357 in the bedroom. Kid has a Colt AR and 10-22 hi-cap in his bedroom. Ruger Mk.III full-bull .22 right in back of me and a S&W MP15 in the corner. Winchester 73 replica in 38-40 standing beside me right now. Swede Mauser .308 in the garage. Marlin 795 .22 out in the implement shed. Other house has a S&W M&P 9c by the bed and my Springfield Armory Loaded 45 auto laying around. S&W Governor in my truck. S&W M&P .40 in the SUV. Sig P938 for concealed carry.