Fellow Forum Folks;
Good afternoon to you all, I hope this finds you all well and that your respective days were a tad brighter than it is up here today, but still no complaints for the middle of October truly.

The only Epps marked rifle I've worked on was actually built on a Mauser 98 action and was stocked with an honest but plain chunk of black walnut. The owner had been given it by her father in law, I want to say maybe as a wedding gift?

Anyways in the fullness of time she left it in a gun rack across the bars of her quad and drove between two trees..... It wasn't the first or last quad broken stock I've repaired either might I say.

Now on an "Epps type" rifle, I'll offer this.

At one point a shooting mentor of mine ended up on a multi arm trade and offered me one of them as he knew I liked "odd and interesting" arms.

It was built on a No. 4 Mk. 1 action, with the trigger redone/changed, the stripper clip guide removed, the butt socket removed so it was a one piece stock, bottom metal changed to a non removable mag and much nicer trigger guard and barreled to .25-303 Epps.

Oh, the stock was the most gorgeous piece of fiddle back maple I've ever seen, just jaw dropping really, but very, VERY white and pale, not yellow or red whatsoever.

The action had been really smoothed up a lot too, but still it was a No. 4 Mk. 1 if you know what I am saying - no disrespect intended or implied.

Likely because it wasn't good timing financially for me to pick it up, I didn't, though again as I recall it was very, very white and not exactly my taste in stocks somehow, so like as not I'd have traded it long ago by now even if I'd bought it.

It had a custom scope mount built on it as well, I want to say a side one, but it might have been sort of Mannlicher Schoenauer looking too, I'm not certain.

Thanks for twigging the memories of a good buddy now long gone who used to come up with the most interesting stuff. May we all be so blessed as to have such friends.

All the best to you all this fall.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"