My Great Grandfather was very good friends with Ellwood and a frequent visitor to his Clinton store. This picture has a place of honor in my living room (my GG on the right with Ellwood and his wife in the middle...never got the name of the person on the left)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My GG had Ellwood and his gunsmith customize the rifle he's holding (Mauser 98 in .35 Whelen), and it must have been early on in it's life as it isn't sporting it's side mounted Weaver K4 yet. My Dad inherited the rifle when my GG passed away and since it's move to Atikokan, has accounted for 3 moose and a pile of deer, including my first buck. It's on the right in this picture.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My Dad is a very...frugal man and firmly believes one shot is enough to check zero each season and that if the scope still lines up with the irons, it's good enough. Who am I to doubt him when I can't ever recall that rifle missing what it was pointed at. It shoots everything to the same point of aim at 100 yards, doesn't matter if it's a factory 200 or 250gr or a handloaded 225. I remember one day when confirming zero, Dad digging through his toolbox where he kept his ammo and pulled out a sleeve of handloaded 225 gr. that had come with the rifle. He cycled one through, took aim and touched off the trigger. He got scoped for his trouble and grunted, "Those are a little zippy..."

Cory