Sure; opinions vary; often, it’s also the writing of it on a site that one tends to minimize, assuming that others are filling in the blanks as you go. But, it’s never safe to assume. 😉

I can still picture several white tails and a couple of bull elk bedded in snow that I’ve snuck up in in my traditional bowyer and early days. Heads at 90* to my path, so broadside like in the pic. Like a standing broadside shot accept legs tucked underneath. No intervening brush. A chip shot with a rifle at whatever distance one was comfortable taking if it was standing still..

Myself, I would not hesitate — after some fifty + deer and elk with both bow and gun — provided all my requirements for an ethical shot could be met.

For example, my last step alerted this calf. But even if not alerted, no shot to your point (for me anyway with a bow) because of that little branch hanging down over the chest. But if she had been a bull, more in the open, and not aware of my presence, he’d be in trouble city. Especially with a rifle.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]