Originally Posted by labsandelk
reliable, somewhat accurate? Do they make a kit that will work on both commander and government size frames?
Will there be a difference between the kits for pre 70 and post 70 series guns?
Please share any thoughts,
Thank you
Phil

Are you asking about a conversion kit made by Colt specifically, or a conversion to be used on a Colt-made 1911, or any conversion kit to be used on any 1911? (Just clarifying...)

FWIW, I used a Kimber made conversion kit on both a 4" Kimber and a 5" Kimber. It worked flawlessly on both. It functioned with all types of ammo, and the sights stayed zeroed for my ammo of choice. I probably swapped it back forth a few hundred times and never had to re-zero. I sent it over to Jim in Idaho and he tried it out on his gun (can't say what make/model), and I think it worked fine for him.

As for utility, I sold mine for the simple fact that it was $300 and in the end, I still only had one functioning firearm at a time. Two guys couldn't go to the range and one shoot .45 ACP while the other shoots .22lr. Nor did I find that the conversion kit made for useful, but cheaper, training with my 1911. Yes, the frame and trigger were the same, but that's where the advantages stop. The slide for the conversion kit is alloy and is a LOT lighter than the steel slide of the .45 ACP. This completely changes the feel and balance of the gun--so much so that you don't feel like you're shooting your 1911. Plus, when loaded, the frame of the gun is lighter with 10 rounds of .22lr than when loaded with 7 or 8 rounds of .45 ACP. And, of course, the sights are different. I like to practice with the exact iron sights I'm going to use on my carry gun. I may be in the minority, but I don't shoot all iron sights the same. It's worth it for me to use my actual sights in practice.

So, the conversion kit was not worth it for me. I ended up selling it and buying another Ruger MKII for not much more money and am very happy with my decision. YMMV.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.