My dad, named Dick, was born in 1922 and grew up and worked on his father's farm, near Foyil, OK, until he joined the Army in WW2. When he came back from the war, he got married, went to college and graduated from Tulsa University with an accounting degree. He got an accounting job with Deep Rock in Tulsa, then moved to Oklahoma City when Kerr McGee bought Deep Rock. He retired as a Vice President of the company in 1984, and moved to the lake here he took up gardening as a past time. He had 320 acres of Oklahoma farm land from 1969 until he retired, which he leased to farmers and cattlemen. At one time, while I was a student at Oklahoma State University, I considered farming the land, and raise live stock. Things didn't pan out, and I ended up back in the Marine Corps when I graduated. I often wonder what sort of life i would have had if I had pursued farming. I admire guys on here like Jim Conrad and their work ethic, and I'm always curious as to what's on their minds. Having observed my dad's work ethic, I think he learned it from the Great Depression era on the farm.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
My dad as a young child on the farm

[Linked Image]
My dad (far right) with his dad and older brother (who had already enlisted) on the farm at the outbreak of WW2.

[Linked Image]
Dad back home, visiting his sister and parents on the farm after the war

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee