Originally Posted by cwh2
Wow is right....

No, I'm not implying that anyone rely on bear spray. In no way am I recommending bear spray. I don't care if people use it, but I personally don't. Aside from the lack of effectiveness, there are other concerns with bear spray. As I recall from previous posts, Phil does carry and use bear spray, but is a long ways from "relying" upon it. My use of the example of spray was in relation to the 9mm comment and meant as sarcasm and a bit of hyperbole. Wolverine, I thought about using "22", but fell back to bear spray as the minimum that might work smile

Moving back from that tangent... In re-reading JWPs comments, it was more around "why spend more money on bullets besides hard cast" and less about the particular chambering. As I recall the little 9mm isn't even Phil's normal sidearm in bear country, but he certainly made it work. I think there are certainly arguments for folks using a firearm they are comfortable with, and many are either not comfortable or competent with a .44. I'm not sure I'd want to recommend the 9mm universally as a brown bear defensive gun, but if that's what someone had and was comfortable with, I'd certainly go that way over sticks, spray or rocks.

Ok then,,,,, I'm understanding your thought process now,,,, and I concur, so were Good..... for now. grin
Lj cool

-[USMC 1st Mar/Div 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi]-