The only reason we hear more about buffalo being wounded with 458 Lotts etc., as opposed to 45-70s, is that real DG cartridges are used hundreds of times as often as 45-70s, which, after all, are illegal for DG. So we hear more about their results, good or bad.

As for ignoring history, remember that the original 45-70 became instantly obsolete for North American game as soon as the 30-40 Krag with a 220 grain bullet at 2000 fps became available in the 1890s. Instantly!

Now we have, of course, more powerful loads and better bullets for the 45-70. But we also have the same for the various .300 magnums. The difference remains. In fact, a 30-06 with a solid bullet will out-penetrate a 45-70. It has a bullet with better sectional density hitting with more velocity. But I wouldn't pick a .30 for DG either.

I am not impressed with shooting through docile Amrican bison. Any 300 Magmum with premium bullets will do that.

If someone wants to hunt with a 45-70, that's fine. But I can't see the cartridge as the best choice for any game, dangerous or non-dangerous.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.