Originally Posted by Dinny
Awesome hunt, awesome story, and awesome outcome. Things certainly could have been worse.

I do NOT recommend the QuikClot powder! It has a thermal reaction to liquids and can seriously burn you. I have seen burns worse than the original wound. Additionally, don't mess with the powder in windy conditions. It can blow into your eyes and can cause permanent blindness.

The Quikclot gauze was designed to do the same great job. However, it's critical the gauze gets placed on the source of the bleeding, not just the outside of the wound. To keep it in place, wrap the injured part and the gauze with an ace wrap. Wrap it snug at first, leave it that way for 20 minutes, then loosen just enough to restore normal blood flow. Tighten if it continues to bleed but replacement may be necessary if the bleeding doesn't stop as it's likely the gauze wasn't applied directly to the source.

Anyone in need of Quikclot Gauze can PM me and I'll give you a smoking deal on some. My dad bought a whole box thinking he would use it regularly. Thankfully that's not the case.

Thanks, Dinny
US Army Combat Medic (3 tours in the Middle East)

Dinny, Thank you for your service and also for that kind offer. My hat is off to you.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis