Tndrbstr: I wonder if you could expound on your brief contention a bit - regarding questionable accuracy in your Model 647?
My Smith & Wesson Model 647 has a Burris 7 power pistol scope on it and shoots amazingly well (in my opinion!) for a revolving pistol.
Have you tried different munitions in your Smith & Wesson Model 647?
Do you have a scope on your pistol or are you relying on the open sights?
The Model 647's are kind of a rare bird and I only know one other owner personally and he is a Varmint and Grouse Hunter like myself - and he loves his Smith and its accuracy.
I have not shot my 647 at 100 yards like Papag has his Taurus - but in the field I have killt the very narrow Ground Squirrels often out at the 70 - 80 yard ranges with my pistol.
In full disclosure (and I have relayed this numerous times in the past on this forum - including when it first happened) my first Smith & Wesson Model 647 in 17 HMR that I purchased new came from the factory with NO rifling in the barrel!
This created a painful situation when I first fired it impacting my cheeks with tiny bits of shrapnel.
This painful firing continued for a short time until I was certain something was wrong with the pistol - my bore scope once I got back home, discovered the shiny reamed out barrel with NO rifling and thus no where for the 17 caliber bullets to expand into normally.
I sent that pistol back to Smith & Wesson who promptly replaced it with the aforementioned dandy shooting Model 647. How that first pistol got out of the factory with no rifling still puzzles me - human error for sure.
Looking forward to your particulars.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy