Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
My dad built an autoloading 17 HMR rifle out of a 10/22 22 Mag. He put an aftermarket stock on, and a carbon fiber barrel, along with a heavier bolt and spring. He never shot it. I inherited it from him and replaced the trigger. It shoots like a dream. The autoloader needs more mass in the bolt and a heavier spring than a standard 22 Mag, or the brass can separate near the case head.

A buddy of mine built one, too. A genuine fancy walnut stock, yadda, yadda, and it worked fine, until it didn't, when his granddaughter was shooting it She got a faceful of gas and a bad attitude about shooting. Ruger quit production of the 10/22M because of out-of-battery firing. The bottleneck case of the HMR will be even more susceptible to such shenanigans, especially in a pistol.

Again, it's a bad idea. A PROVEN bad idea.

I rebarreled a couple of 10/22 Magnums to 17 HMR some years back. Found that a heavier bolt and springs would work if the chamber was kept spotlessly clean, but it would fire out of battery if there was any foreign material buildup, not a good thing. I put mine back into its original configuration and sold it for about twice what I
had into it. I sold the barrel and bolt to a guy who knew that he could make it work 'cause irt was obvious that I was doing something wrong. I heard that he had at least 3 out of battery firings.