Originally Posted by doubletap
I’m also looking at cast bullets for a 30-06. I bought a box of 500 lasercast bullets and added gas checks. I’ve been told that they need to be seated so that none of the bullet protrudes past the neck into the case. Is this correct?

I’ve only loaded cast bullets for rifles in 38-55 and.375Win. So it’s never been an issue.

Some people make that claim, but the thousands of cast bullets I have loaded that my family and I have fired that are seated so that some of the bullet is exposed in the case below the shoulder are testament that it is not ever an issue. This is in cartridges from 22 through 35 calibers, and includes 218 Bee, 223, 243, 270, 280, 30-06, 308, 30-30, 357 Herrett, 35 Whelen, and a few others.

I would say that seating some portion of the bullet below the neck with gas check below the neck is a non-issue, unless you need to pull those bullets for some reason. Then A pair of pliers or tweezers is sometimes required to pull the check out of the case if it comes off the bullet during pulling.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.