Originally Posted by BillyE
Variable power seems to outsell fixed by a very large margin. Leupold has cut a lot out of their portfolio recently. I have a 6x42 I like pretty well. Not in love with the reticle but it is fairly bright and simple. I bought it for the kids/girls rifle just because it was simple. It seems like everyone wants a higher zoom ratio, which just seems a bit pointless to me.

Yep indeed. The trend seems to be bigger scopes. One young bloke who joined our deer club for a while put a 5-25 scope on his .30-06 for deer and then shot four times at a red stag at 100m ................and missed four times. He finally hit it on the fifth shot which was probably a lucky shot judging buy his previous shooting skills. My mates have a bit of a laugh at me for buying fixed scopes and none will try one themselves. They are all convinced they are hindering themselves and most won't even buy a 2-7 or 2.5-8 variable even, as they think a 7x or 8x magnification is still not enough to shoot a deer.

I was sad to see Leupold get rid of the 4x33 and 6x36 but I can't really blame them when not many people are buying them anymore.