Haha...the badger picture. Yikes. Flash tangled up with one once but discretion was the better part of valor that day and he disengaged, wisely.

While deer hunting Saturday, I noted that the ranch I was on had literally thousands of grouse on it. At one point, I looked out into a draw and noted about 50-60 sharptails in two ash trees. So I loaded up my shotgun and walked out there to see what would happen. They lifted off when I got about 60 yards away. I was bummed til I noticed they were flying RIGHT AT ME. I dumped a limit of them, sadly using four shots, and then couldn't find the third bird on my own. Dammit. I was able to fill about ten minutes later and it was super fun. I'll go back for more of that action.

Yesterday we went out to Harrold again, where we were treated to approximately twice as many birds in the grass as last weekend. Despite having over 200 years of hunting experience in the group, we acted like it was our first time. Bad planning. Poor execution. Lousy shooting, Subpar dog work. I think all of us must have just lost our minds at the sheer numbers in one quarter section. I saw well over 1000 birds, easily so. Wow. I think we finished with 12 in hand and called it a day.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"