Originally Posted by chris_c
Originally Posted by 5sdad
... are out of the oven, wrapped, doused, in plastic bags, and on the shelf aging. (Some will applaud, others will retch.)

Recipe?

The fruit mix can vary year to year, basically the same. This year:

2 lb. fruitcake mix
1 lb. red candied cherries
1 lb. green candied cherries
1/2 lb. candied pineapple
1 lb. raisins
1/4 lb. candied orange rind
1 lb. chopped dates
1 16-ounce can of pitted sour cherries drained
"some" dried apricots chopped up
Note: this is my choice, so no fricking nuts
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons apricot brandy
Mix, cover tightly, and leave alone for 24-48 hours.

Then:
Sift together 5 cups sifted flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon allspice, 1 teaspoon nutmeg, 1 teaspoon ground cloves - set aside.

Cream 1 cup butter (room temperature) and 2 cups brown sugar until light and fluffy.
Add 7 large eggs, two at a time, mixing well after each addition.
Stir in 1 12-ounce jar of apple jelly.
Blend well.

Add fruit mixture to the above, alternating with the sifted dry ingredients, using a heavy wooden spoon or your hands until well blended.

Generously grease baking pans (I use 4 4X8 and 3 3X7 bread pans for this amount) , then line with waxed paper, then grease again.
Fill pans about 3/4 full.
Bake at 250 for something over 3 hours. Test with toothpick at 3 hours and then use your judgement. I generally wind up going about 3:15.

Cool on racks (I went overnight) then turn out of pans and peal off paper.

Wrap in cheesecloth and brush with more brandy. Seal in plastic storage bags for at least 4 weeks, checking once a week and adding more brandy as needed.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.