Originally Posted by HawkI
Originally Posted by stuvwxyz
Interesting video and comments. The one issue not addressed is how do you prevent the dirt baths. In the past when men carried handguns or rifles in extreme conditions the guns were cased. THE holster of choice of for militaries and woodman of merit had 2 common features. A closed toe and a full flap. Didn't matter which brand or what material it was made of. This kept the gun as protected as possible till the needed. An open top holster not only invite dirt and debris but allow it to accumulate.

Ammo ends up in the wash more than the entire gun, even when just dicking around.

True enough but my point was that dirt and grime and plugged barrels can be greatly reduced using a protective holster. Years ago there was a great backlash about using WD-40 on guns. Living in cold country I heard horror stories of police officers whos guns froze up in cold weather and ammo that had been rendered useless as the lubricate had froze the gun up and sullied the primers. Curiosity got the best of me so I did an experiment. I took 12 44 magnums cartridges and a Ruger Blackhawk and I put them in a pan and filled the pan with WD-40. I then put them in our freezer at 25 below zero for 24 hours. I then removed them and the gun and ammo both functioned perfectly without a hiccup. I then sprayed some WD-40 in primed cased and left them for an hour, dumped out any remaining liquid , let them mellow for a few days, loaded them with bullet and powder and went to the range. IIRC most failed to discharged but a few did though kind of slow hand fire scenario. Using your response as a guide my next experiment with be testing different ammo soaked in water for varying time periods to determine ?????? Thanks for the idea.