Originally Posted by HawkI
Dirt, mud and grit, more so than water.

You can tell when ammo wont "feed", because youre the loader.

I didnt miss your point; someone else did.

The Brits often had them on lanyards, tucked under clothing.

You brought up an interesting subject. Lanyard rings. I recall it was all the rage to remove the lanyard rings from military sidearms so you looked more modern. These were the days you took pristine military rifles and sporterized them. Glad those days are over. Many countries including the US had handguns with lanyard rings. I have them on a few handguns. The Brits used a canvas full flap holster for their WW 2 revolvers and equipped with a lanyard. I think they are one of the most overlooked needs. I try to modify some of my handguns to lanyard ring but it is tough to do on high dollar antique guns. The thought behind the ring and lanyard was gun control. No mater how you stumble and fall, or eject from a snowmobile, or capsize a boat and have to swim to shore, the gun is always there, A second benefit is, properly adjusted, the lanyard will be tight just as your elbows lockup at full arm extension. Thus giving even greater stability in off hand shooting. Working at great height for much of my career, I had lanyards on many tools, from hammers, axes to grease guns. Didn't want to brain someone below or hike back down to retrieve a dropped tool. When I duck hunt from a boat i have a bright pink volleyball attached to a hundred foot rope then attached to my shotgun for those tip over days.