Originally Posted by Sam_H
Originally Posted by kwg020
Range brass is God's gift to those who are patient and are willing to look through garbage cans........ I'm willing to take the time to sort out the wheat from the chaff and make the best of it.

Agree. I've done searches re 9mm brass and found decent info, what's good, what's not. Same info, of course, exists in the shotshell reloading world, ie., what hulls are worth the trash-dive.

.223/5.56 seems less info available, except that mil and commercial generally weigh out pretty close. Which is good to know.

Years ago fired off a case of Norinco. Was told it was not reloadable. Well, the primers are crimped, yes. But it reloaded just fine.

The world, such as it is, how do you "sort out the wheat from the chaff" in .223? Eg., I use a LE Wilson case gauge to determine degree of stretch in once-fired brass. Especially bulk purchase stuff. Looking to cull brass that might have come from a Minimi, as 249 headspace specs are pretty generous. Not too likely to see such brass at most ranges.

Might be a fit topic for a separate thread?

Hello Sam
I start by looking at the primers. Silver primers usually mean they have been shot at least once. If it's military brass (LC) and they have no signs of annealing that means it's twice fired. They go into a separate jar as at least twice fired. Anything with a crimp and a brass primer is a good chance it's once fired. Anything "ugly" goes in my metal recycling bucket. It's humbling to have to go through the garbage cans but it has it's rewards. I shoot at a range that has very few LEO's shooting and NO machine guns so most of my brass is commercial and out of somebodies AR or bolt action. I have noticed there is very little left behind now. There used to be a bunch of it but no longer. There are a couple of guys who sell brass here at the fire. If things continue like they are, I'll be buying more from them because very little is getting left behind. I don't see that as getting any better for a long time.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.