Back in the early 90's I was in a meeting with about 8 guys who were what I consider "gun guys", part of our duties was armed prisoner transports, during our break the conversation turned to hunting and rifles. Three of the 8 guys there said they had their personal Remington Mod. 700 rifles drop the hammer when the safety was placed in the fire position. I was astounded to say the least and can't for the life of me explain how they could all be wrong, not all three of these avid shooters and trained gun handlers. Time has dimmed my memory and I don't remember claimed trigger weights of pull or if they had been tinkered with. I also don't remember if they sold the rifle, sent it in for repair or could duplicate the incident again.

I am not trying to bash any ones "Old Betsy" and realize the Rem. 700 is probably the most popular centerfire big game rifle in North America and is the basis for many tricked out highly accurate rifles. Ultra light trigger pulls on a big game hunting rifle scare me and I know many carry them afield every year. On a big game hunting rifle here in Alaska I like a crisp trigger break between to 2.5 to 3 lbs. and all our Mod. 70's are set that way and are drop tested on the butt to make sure they don't discharge that way. I also don't understand why the newer Mod. 70 rifles have a new trigger design and consider the trigger one of the best features on older Mod. 70 rifles. Darn bean counters!

It reminds me of all the automobile recalls I have heard of over the years, I mean 10's of thousands of recalled vehicles. Of those recalled many did not display a problem, but there were enough that did that made the manufacturer do a recall. Admitting a fault in a design is and expensive process for a company and law suits bankrupt them.

At age 70 I long ago learned that I don't understand some things and just because I have not personally experienced something does not mean it isn't a real "thing". Law suits and the need for new trigger designs have plagued Remington for years. I am not knowledgeable enough to know if the Remington triggers have a design flaw. But, I have talked to a few salty old gun smiths over the years and shooters I trust and read what past employees have said.

Good shooting to all of you and stay safe cyber buddies!