Might be mistaken,but I thought the major difference was the cup thickness in the primer.Handguns typically have lighter primer strike. Although I have used SR primers in a .357, but was primarily shooting them in ammo I used in a Rossi Model 92 carbine. They did go bang in my Ruger Security Six and S&W 686 however.

Right now with the AR crowd buying up every SR primer on the shelves I use the SP primers I have.

Based on an article by John Barsness - GUNS magazine pg 26 May 2009. [JB, formerly of Handloader is one of the most qualified gunwriters when it comes to primers and reloading in general]
Information from the Speer #14, Hornady #7, Nosler#6, and Lyman #49 reloading manuals, Alliant and Accurate Arms data.

CUP THICKNESS

Handgun primers have thinner cups than rifle primers, making them easier to ignite with the typically weaker firing pin fall of handguns. Small Pistol primer cups are .017" thick, while Large Pistol primer cups are .020" thick. This is the reason using handgun primers in .22 Hornet rifle loads sometimes results in pierced primers in some guns. Obviously their substitution in the high pressure .223 Remington would not be a good idea.

Last edited by saddlesore; 12/06/20.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles