Excellent empirical test, thanks for posting that. I would have figured the small rifle primers to be a good deal hotter than small pistol but your results show right around a 20 fps gain for both pistols which is less than 2% of the greater velocity (1.6% and 1.7% respectively) . One might see 20 fps difference in small pistol primers of two different brands or between standards and magnums

Originally Posted by Waders
...While I don't think my test conditions are solid enough to draw any specific conclusions...

More data never hurts but your results across two firearms definitely show a trend. I doubt the same test repeated 10 more times or using different guns would vary significantly from what you're showing.

Now you've inspired me. wink I have just under 4,000 CCI 400's which I found out aren't supposed to be used in higher pressure rifle loads, and in fact one load in a .223 produced a pierced primer. Might have to do a little experimentation with a couple of .357's and .38's and get velocity readings with CCI-400 SRP vs. CCI-500 SPP. It'd be a good winter project.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!