Anson
I’ll try to answer in the order you wrote.
I have always been told rifle primers have a thicker cup, saw several articles on this. Personally, I have not been able to prove this. But that doesn’t necessarily mean anything. As for withstanding pressure, thats a wide discussion. Mainly depends on how good the fit between the bolt face and the case, and firing pin alignment, firing pin bore size, relationship between firing pin size and bore, firing pin shape, and the force it hits the primer. And headspace. And several other things.
I am not sure any more exactly what a “hot” primer is. In my mind, a hot primer is always a hot primer. But in some loads, the pressure and speed are the same as any other. So in my mind, a primer cant be hot sometimes, and other times not.
My testing is somewhat , or you could probably accurately say, extremely skewed . I usually test in a bolt rifle that I build. Straight chamber, bolt face, firing pin correct, correct headspace, etc. I would guess this allows for things you couldn’t do in other systems. I have saw some eye openers with ammo fired in semi-auto and full auto weapons. Thats a whole different game.
As far as gas handling, a Rem 700 is fine. Kind of depends on exactly what the failure is. But any of the modern bolt designs do well.
Charlie

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj