For those interested, y’all should read Harold Vaughns book titled “Rifle Accuracy Facts” . Mr Vaughn certainly doesn't have John Barsness writing skill, but there is a lot of good info there. I have read this book several times. Made a lot of the same test. Got a lot of the same results.
One of those test I could never understand, or maybe I couldn’t accept the results. Mr Vaughn was testing muzzle blast, and its consistency . The blast was hardly ever the same. In my mind, thats impossible.
So I did my own test. First, I developed a load in a 308 that had 6 fps extreme spread on a 10 shot group, and less than 200 psi swing on the pressure. It took a lot of brass and bullet sorting to get that ! Next I set up a bench outside in an area about 5 acres that was open and flat, grass mowed evenly. Then In an area about 20 ft diameter, I spread ground up fiberglass insulation, the kind you blow in. Spread about two inches deep. Then fired, made a little drawing of what the fiberglass did. Then waited for it all to settle, then smoothed and added until I had about two inches.
I tested this on four different occasions. Each time I would fire and record ten rounds. I dont think in all that test I ever saw the same effect twice. In my mind, thats impossible. But the test said otherwise.
Charlie

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj