310 yards with no blood trail. Shot a nice doe broadside through the lungs years ago and she took off on an apparent death run. The shot was in the neighborhood of 125 yards. She would have been lost except for the fact she ran through some six year old planted pines that had relatively clean underbrush.....easy to see through.

No sign of the doe the first 50-60 yards and I became concerned. Searched all morning long and eventually found her. Perfect shot but zero blood leaking out of the hole. I took out my GPS and marked a waypoint there and backtracked to the spot where was shot, marking another waypoint. 310 yard straight line distance between the two, not accounting for any zig zagging. Their was no blood found backtracking her trail.

Winchester model 70, 1951, 270. Barnes TTSX. I figure that lot of copper they used must have been exceptionally hard as I shot a nice 8 pointer that season five times with that same rifle and load. Every shot icepicked through with no expansion @ 150 or so yards. Perhaps my strangest tale of terminal performance, as he went down but not out with shot #1....still kicking and tying to get up. Put the other four rounds through the same spot and he was still breathing when I walked up to him. One shot with my 1911 45ACP loaded with a Golden Saber bullet did the trick.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.