Toyota isn't gonna put a diesel in a half ton Tundra, forget about it.

I've got a couple of trucks, a 2016 Tundra and a 1999 dodge/cummins. At the time I bought the dodge diesel fuel was 1.20 a gallon and unleaded was 1.50, my truck unloaded will get 22 mpg on the highway. Today diesel fuel is 30-50 cents a gallon more than unleaded and the new diesels get about 15 instead of 22 like my dodge. The cost of operating one is through the roof compared to my old truck. When I bought mine in 1999 I could drive my truck about 50% per mile cheaper than a comparable gas truck, new diesels now cost about 50% more than a gas truck per mile to operate. The poor mileage of newer diesels and the high fuel price have pretty much gutted the market for diesel trucks as daily drivers.

Admittedly the new ones pull great, but unless you have to have one for you pulling needs they're too expensive for my blood, the cost advantage now is heavily towards gas. My 2016 Tundra is a great truck, absolutely nothing has ever gone wrong with it. It does suck the fuel though, 15 mpg or so but that's about what a new diesel will get empty using fuel that's more expensive than gas. It doesn't pull like the diesel, my old dodge now has about 400,000 miles on it and gets strictly used for pulling farm trailers.

I wish Toyota would sell a diesel Hilux in the U.S., I see them all over the world in my travels but the EPA makes it impossible. The US has the strictest diesel emissions standards in the world which is why our diesel fuel mileage sucks so badly. I'd be all over a four cylinder Hilux that got 30 mpg but the EPA won't let it happen. Caterpillar doesn't even make engines for highway legal vehicles any more, they quit making them when the emissions requirements got too bad.

The redesigned Tundra is supposed to have a twin turbo V6 instead of the 5.7L V8, the rumor is the fuel mileage will be much better. It's a long time past when they should have fixed the mileage.