I am getting ready to stick my toe in the Bullet Casting arena. Have a few questions...

1) Have several hundred pounds of what I believe to be dead soft lead in the form of old water pipes. Also have a turkey fryer burner and cast lead pots. From what I have read, my assumption is that I would probably be better off melting the lead pipe in the lead pots, scrape off the dross, and then ladle or pour ingots. THEN put the ingots into a lead furnace to alloy and cast. Correct assumption ?

2) Lead pipe has been on a pallet rack in the barn for several years. Outside is dry, dry. However, would not bet the farm that there is no moisture on the inside. Anyway to melt the pipe in a manner to minimize potential for steam explosion? eg: All lead in pot at one time. heat gradually? Cutting the pipe into short 3" sections so minimize trapped moisture? Other recommendations?

3) Have also purchased some Linotype. Is there an appropriate percentage / mixture of lead to Linotype that would yield an alloy that is satisfactory for both rifle bullets and pistol bullets?

4) recommended bullet lube for both pistols and rifles? I am not opposed to running a hair dryer to warm / heat the Lyman 450. Would prefer a little harder lube, less sticky vs a soft sticky lube.

5) What is Alox used for? Why do some lubes use it, and some lubes do not?

Appreciate any and all helpful comments !