Originally Posted by Mjduct
http://www.35caliber.com/

He can make the hole in your rifle barrel bigger. Bigger hole= less weight smile

If going for ultra light weight for a walk around rifle. I’d do that. My favorite montana chop job is a .338 federal at about 17”

One thing you will instantly notice when chopping barrels is muzzle blast.

The smaller the hole the more powder is burning outside of the barrel.

The 17” 338 federal isn’t loud at all. The 18” 6.5 creed is a head ringer. My daughters 20” .22-250 is also a very loud rifle.

Recoil doesn’t matter from field positions. Sound always matters if you don’t have some sort of protection.

If you have a suppressor. ( I think I saw that earlier in the thread) I’d go the largest caliber that would work on your suppressor and the shortest barrel you can. I like to start at 17” or so. In case the smith screws up your threads you can always cut at the shoulder and do it again.

I’ve had 2 factory rifles with non-concentric threads. So I like a little bit of insurance. Baffle/end cap strikes are no good.

Yessss...I knew I had seen Luke Moffat do that to a Montana on Rokslide. Local smith wants $175 to cut crown and thread...hell for another $100-$200 I can have a better short range caliber and less weight and even more uniqueness...yepppp. Will update as I go.

Last edited by ChrisAU; 12/31/20.