Just went through this in November. My power company Nevada Energy has been toying with shutting off the power during Red Flag days ala PG&E.

I'm already on propane so I just needed to upgrade the pipelines and buy tanks, regulators and accessories. It really helped being retired from a propane company that sold all of the above at cost.

I consulted with my old boss who's been setting up generators nonstop since the Camp Fire in Paradise a couple of years ago. He suggested going big and water cooled rather than air cooled and smaller as the smaller rigs run at closer to a full load and as such had higher failure rates.

Ended up getting a 32KW Generac 4 cylinder turbo charged after cooled model. So far loving it and it's way quieter than my folks new 22KW v-twin air cooled Generac. Mine shouldn't ever run above 1/2 load except when I have mini splits installed as a backup heat source if my boiler fails.

When I researched fuel loads the bigger gen was within 1 to 2 tenths of gallon per hour than my folks smaller generator and runs at half the rpm's and way quieter. The extended service schedule of the water cooled is icing on the cake.