What RossImp said. I’ve been reading on another forum about a guy that rebarreled his 270 WSM to a 1:8 twist barrel. He’s shooting the heavier/longer bullets and is getting good results. I have thought about doing the same thing to mine, but we will see. I asked why Winchester didn’t just start putting 1:8 or faster twist barrels and boy did I hear it. I was told people don’t understand how twist rate works etc., and that was kind of my point. Put a 1:8 twist on the gun to begin with instead of reinventing the wheel. It will allow a person to shoot 130 gr bullets or 175 gr. bullets and no one would probably know the difference. They probably would with 110 gr bullets, but most people aren’t shooting them in. 270 Win or WSM. All I heard was how Joe Blow would load 170 gr bullets in his 1:10 twist 270 Win and get keyholes. This was from the same people saying people don’t understand twist rate and ballistics.

I think this was a natural move as we’ve seen 1:8 twist and faster barrels taking over it seems at least for the newer cartridges that are designed for heavier/longer bullets in other calibers, so why not those in .277. We’ll probably see a new fast twist .257 caliber commercialized soon a well.