Thanks fellers. Lots of good suggestions, but I will be going w/ a CRF. Having never owned a .308 before, I’ve been looking into it more seriously lately and the more I read about it, the more I’m convinced that the .308 would be a excellent choice. I would definitely prefer a custom Mauser, but finding a decent one for a fair price is a difficult prospect these days, but I’m keeping an eye out.

Unless I can find a worked over Mauser, the M70 is currently in the lead and I’m still interested in the Ruger Gunsite Scout as well, but as I stated I’m not too keen on Ruger.

Ken: Somehow I knew you were going to recommend a Featherweight! grin I’m keeping an eye out, but I haven’t found one yet. The .280 is still in the running, though the .308 certainly has the advantage in ammo/component availability.

I also always wanted to try an FN SPR, but they’re way too heavy and the prices have gotten ridiculous.

Last edited by High_Noon; 01/21/21.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue