Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
Originally Posted by 158XTP
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
I went through this post. Here a few quotes regarding lead bullets (unless I misunderstood something).

I agree on the 38special being great for small game...

You are combining too many arguments I think. No mid calibre pistol carts are ideal for large or dangerous game but if you must use them on game that isnt going to be impresseed with the general power of the cartirdge, you are better off choosing penetration. They shoot elephants in africa and a lot of buffalo with FMJ( solid bullets) in big game rifles for the same reason.

Also hardcast or FMJ pushed hard do destroy some meat btw, they will cavitate greater than the bullet diametre, break bones, can even send secondary tissue fragments around.

Again, not really relevant for a "38 special or 9mm at 950fps" thread. The comments on this thread arent meant to apply to all the arguments you have set.

The performance of a cast bullet is the same regardless if it's .429 of .357 inches in diameter. It's not like just because the bullet grew a few thousandths fatter it's now this magic killing pill with nuclear bomb performance. It's still going to cut clean circular holes. I'm not talking velocity here, just pure hardcasts bullets. Arrows routinely go through an elk, which is a very large game animal. Can't ask for more penetration than that, and they often die slowly, bleeding to death. African game hunters require penetration because of the size of the animal, but they also pick their shot. Shot placement is key again. Even charging African animals require shot placement to stop. Any decent bullet will cavitate greater than their diameter and break bones. I want a bullet that maximizes that effect, does as much damage as possible in a dangerous game situation. If a bear is charging, I shoot and hit a leg, I want the leg wound to be as big as possible, if I hit center of mass I want it to rip a hole to the heart. I personally, don't think a bullet penciling it's way through the heart and out the ass end is the best option. I just want it to make as massive a wound as possible on it's way to the vitals. Hard cast is not the best option for that. I do agree with your statement that in lesser calibers, penetration should be favored, but given the option for a decent caliber, I'm picking an XTP, or similar type bullet.

I've shot deer with 4570 hc lead and Hornady's leverevelution bullets. The deer died quick both times. I refuse to use the Leverevelution bullets anymore as the meat devastation was horrendous. The exit wound was a fist sized hole. When dangerous game is the issue; however, that's what I want. I don't care if the bullet exits, that just means that fist size hole happened internally, which is even better. Again, I'm assuming the penetration of whatever caliber we are talking about is sufficient enough to reach the vitals.

You're welcome to your perspective, but I don't agree with you. I think you are setting yourself up for failure, and catastrophic failure at that. Good luck getting fist-sized exits on charging dangerous animals using XTPs in a handgun.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.