Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I've used both to shoot a lot of grouse and rabbits that got eaten. I've always wanted to hunt deer with a 9mm carbine. Haven't gotten around to it yet.

From a carbine, 9mm should hit about like a .357 Magnum from a four inch revolver barrel.

You really have to chrono the ammo to know, and then you have to figure out if the design parameters of the bullet are suitable for use out of a carbine. I have been comparing ammo in a Sig P365 XL against a Ruger PC Carbine. Barnes TAC-XPD 115 gr. +P chronographed within 1 fps in both guns, with a higher ES in the Ruger. One shot from each got into a third 1 gallon water jug. Speer standard pressure 124 Gold Dots showed a 157 fps difference between the two, but the shot I fired from the Sig got into the third 1 gallon water jug while 2 shots fired from the Ruger expanded much more but only got into the second 1 gallon water jug each time. In light of this thread, I will chronograph some 147 grain +P Buffalo Bore out of the Ruger this week, in addition to some Hornady 124 grain XTP Custom. (Of course, the Buffalo Bore sailed completely through 8 water jugs when fired from a Glock 19, and a Lehigh 115 Xtreme Penetrator got into a 9th, so I don't know how much penetration one needs.) I have videos and pictures of the tests if anyone is interested.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln