There are many .250 Savage fans here on the campfire, mostly due to nostalgia and the rest are Savage model 99 shooters. The Savage 99 shooters using rifles in .250/3000 loaded with the 87 grain Speer demonstrate every season the little .250 is more than a capable deer slayer.

The .250 Savage has less muzzle blast and ever so slightly less recoil that a .243 making it a perfect "Youth" cartridge, loaded with 100 gr bullets there is no practical difference in the field between the two.

Being so influenced here on the campfire to buy or try a new cartridge I bought a .250 Savage wanting a light weight and "Soft Recoiling" rifle. I started out shooting 100 gr Hornady's yet to Steelhead suggestion I switched to 117 gr bullets. My 117 gr hunting load is a sedate 2,660 yet from 176 yards to a way out out there....342 yards the slow bullet has performed admirably.

The little .250 is the only rifle cartridge I carry any more...

Many campfire members are successful every year using the .223 on deer, really can't argue with their success. For many, more bullet weight and powder capacity is desired......I just happen to be one of those people.