Originally Posted by ShaunRyan
I always liked San Angelo, but don't know how Kalifornicated it is these days. Nacogdoches and surrounds is good country too. Also like the country between Houston and San Antonio. Schulenburg, Flatonia, etc. Texas has something for everyone. I think many Texans would agree that a rope is what they have for Californians . . .

San Angelo would be good as would a similar town, Abilene. I would lean West or Southwest of Fort Worth and you will get Western culture. East can be more Southeast. I've got direct family names in the stained glass of the painted churches in some of the towns mentioned above and I don't know much but from talking to friends who've lived there I would be nervous about moving back and being accepted despite blood, seven or so generations and names as recently as a couple a generations back. West can be accepting of kind outsiders, which is not always the case everywhere. East is not really my thing. Maybe I'm wrong. Many love Austin, even those from California want to live there. I stay away from Austin. Dallas is good if you want to make money and it has a huge airport so you can get out with the money you make. and do fun things.

Lubbock area would be good (Ransom Canyon is cool) as would near Amarillo, such as Canyon near Palo Duro. I would probably live in or near Lubbock or near Amarillo with a preference to Lubbock (Rocky Mountains are not too far from either and Amarillo can get cold). Also, I like Weatherford / Aledo / Benbrook / Granbury / Glen Rose if you want to be close to DFW.