Originally Posted by Marshhawk
Hi all,
My Wife and I are seriously thinking about moving to Texas. She is still working but can work from anywhere as long as there is internet. I retired as a Correctional Sergeant last year from the Wisconsin Dept. of Corrections. My Wife and I are solid Conservative voters. I would probably look for a part time job. I am not real familiar with TX but here is where I have been on pig hunts and I really like the area. We hunt about 15 miles from Palestine near Tennessee Colony. I believe it is Anderson County. I like that part of the State of TX. My hobbies include deer hunting, duck hunting, PIG HUNTING and turkey if available. I know deer hunting can pose a problem but will probably come back to Wisconsin to hunt for deer.I am a FFL Dealer and I can transfer it to TX. I just workout of my house now. I would also be willing to guide hunts for pig hunters if someone is looking for a guide.
We are not into the Arts, or Symphony etc. More concerned about living in a small town or in a rural area. Doing are own thing and being good neighbors I would like to be someplace within 25-30 miles of a decent sized town for groceries, shopping etc

Bill
If you already know and like Palestine, then why not there? There's really not a lot of difference in the northeast quadrant of Texas. You get over towards Dallas and you get into more blackland and real farming country and a lot less Pines. It looks more like what you'd think of "the west" looking like. You get farther east and you get more Pines, some swamps and a lot more like the Deep South. It's sort of gradual. I don't know why you'd think deer hunting would "pose a problem". They're overrun with deer. The only problem is they're not very big.

You get very close to Dallas and you get into some big city problems even on the outskirts. Texarkana is a big city too, and Tyler and several others are significant population centers with all the ups and downs that comes with. Somebody mentioned Paris. There's about anything you need there without it being too big. Not that much different than Palestine. You get into other areas and things are totally different. Southeast Texas is very similar to Louisiana and the rest of the Deep South. South Central Texas and the Big Bend you're going to get into a lot of Mexicans. Some desert type areas. The Hill Country is nice but becoming very populous. The Panhandle is desolate, not desert, but close, with plenty of Mexicans.

I would steer way clear of Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, El Paso and Beaumont. Just too many people.