What do you guys think/advise? Which way would you go?

I'm spending too much time indoors these days and am in need a new project.

I have a donor rifle that I have in mind that is worth say $600 as it sits. I'm considering re-boring to 9.3x62 or re-barreling to same.

After weighing said rifle it looks like the re-bore would make the rifle sans scope at about 7 lb - a little light maybe I'm thinking?.

Re-barreling on the other hand will allow a SS barrel and what ever weight - I was thinking aiming for 8 lb sans scope and 22" barrel length.

Re-barreling cost ~ ER Shaw = $200 (I would have a "like new" barrel from donor to peddle, but it is a 30-06 so -$40??) + work of sight installation + recoil pad and installation $50

Re-bore - by "J E S Rifle Reboring" = $250 plus recoil pad and installation $50

(Some of you probably look down on ER Shaw. I've used many of the more expensive barrels and I've used ER Shaw, the last couple were ER Shaw and they were good barrels. The first couple ER Shaw barrels were not so good maybe over 40 years ago. Back in the day it was premium barrels mostly - especially for varmint and bench rifles. This won't be a bench rifle, BTW.)

Pricing rifles on-line for an acceptable 9.3x62 >$1,500, If I could sell my donor rifle for $600, probable cost would easily be $900, I suppose plus bases and rings, so $950

Bottom line - seems like a lot like 6's

Re-bore $900+ - ($600 for donor plus $300 plus shipping out of pocket) - this option may result in a light rifle - too light
Re-barreling $850+ - ($600 for donor plus $250 plus shipping - - this option would result in a new SS barrel
Used 9.3x62 $950+ ($1,500 plus shipping, bases and rings - $600 for sale of donor) - buying a rifle on-line isn't much of a project, but it may be worth more at my estate auction

I have another donor rifle that has a decent recoil pad already installed, so the first two options would be $50 cheaper that way.

Last edited by Bugger; 01/27/21.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally