A 20 gauge will come at a real premium if it's a reasonably modern gun, as will a 30-06. 308 is very uncommon, and the 8mm JRS is not used much anymore. 7X65R has taken over as one of the most popular rifle chamberings, and 16 gauge guns have been replaced with the 12ga as the common chambering. The 7X65R is essentially a 280 Remington-rimmed. 16 gauge guns and 20 gauge guns share the same frame size, usually.

I'd suggest a Dural frame 16ga and 7X65R with the safety and selector on top, like the later Kreighoff Trumpf and Merkel/Simson 90s and 95s. I much prefer the model 90 set up with it's two distinct selectors, safety and rifle selector.

This Kreighoff Trumpf Dural is an outstanding upland gun with the relatively light Zeiss 1.5-6 in a three claw light mount. It's 16-16-7X65R with 25" barrels. The rifle cocker/selector and the safety are on top, so a lefty can use it easily. Grind off the cheek piece and oil bend the stock. It's easy for any decent stock man.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Albeit heavier, this Merkel 90 in 12ga and 7X65R with a 3.5-10 Leupold VX3i is strong and can take "healthy" rifle loads. It has my favorite button set up with the rifle selector in front of the safety, both on top. Do the same with the stock.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”