Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback
There's a particular application for a drilling or combination gun for some hunting I want to do so I would appreciate your suggestions. Application is bear (under 200 yards and probably under 75 yards) and grouse hunting in mountainous terrain (don't want a heavy gun). Would prefer a .308 Win or other 30 caliber for bear (from .30-30 to .30-06) but would consider a 7mm or larger, with caveat of I don't currently use anything in 7mm or 8mm. Shotgun-wise would prefer 20 gauge for grouse, but would consider any standard gauge (no .410 bore). Other priorities: left handed function and low power scope or red dot capable. If looking strictly for a hunting tool, not a collectible, what are some options (brands and models) you'd recommend looking for?

I like old vintage ones with long, thin barrels and short shotgun chambers because the balance and handle nicely. Another big plus is many were made at time when optical sights hand no magnesium flouride coatings, were not waterproof or dust proof, therefore, they were not mounted. This is wonderful because during mix bag hunt there is no scope to get in a way of bagging bunny, or a birdie. The rare ones with three triggers would be wonderful for ease of barrel selection. One thing to watch out for on old ones is chambering of the rifle barrel. You do not want something originally made for Junker, Graf,....where he had custom kaliber for which shop loaded ammunition for him/her.