I seem to recall a series of regular shots for rabies (4?) before I went to Africa in ‘80.

Dog rabies is common there. Once I was eating inside a walled compound outside in my village and the sound of dog paws passed by, followed by running feet and the cry of ONNIOOO!!! (mad dog). They chase em down with poles or ladders, anything long enough to pin the dog down so they can whack it with machetes.

A little girl in the next village got bit but fortunately they had the gamma gobulin/whatever in stock at the mission hospital I worked at.

From what I was told by the hospital staff watching someone die of rabies ain’t pleasant, especially if you don’t have the supplies to render them unconscious until they pass.

While I was over there a British girl working in Egypt had a stray dog lick a scratch on her leg from under a table in the market. She didn’t think anything of it but that was all it took.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744