Originally Posted by Blacktailer
my favorite all time hunt was red stag on horseback in Patagonia with Algar safaris.

My only two horseback hunts, I would rate one among my best experiences. The best outfitter was in southern Montana, about 30 miles north of Yellowstone park. We would ride the horses uphill and the guide would take the horses and meet us at a predetermined spot after we walked downhill through the dark timber and brush.

The worst horseback experience was hunting west of Cody, WY.. Before I booked the hunt, I told the outfitter I had a knee surgery and would not be able to climb, He said no problem I would be on horses most of the time. The guy was so worried about his horses, he had us leading the horses up or down every hill and my knee was in big time pain.

The bottom line, for horse back hunts don't forget to communicate with their references, if you will be able to ride the horses uphill.

My favorite big game hunts were during the 70s & 80s when I was young enough to get around in steep country (western slope of Colorado) and do it yourself hunts with friends using our own 4WD trucks and camping equipment!